How to use CPT to work in U.S.

If you lose the H-1B lottery (h1b 抽签), they will consider converting to F-1 status, and then continue to work with the CPT of F-1 student status, and prepare for the next year’s H-1B application (h1b 申请) and find an immigration lawyer (移民律师) again. Some people may luckily win the H1B lottery, but still face the h1b rfe, and eventually got h1b denied (h1b被拒) by USCIS. No matter which is your case, here is back up plan for you—CPT.

CPT (Curriculum Practical Training) is an integral part of the school’s academic program. It aims to supplement the theoretical training with practical work experience and prepare students for their careers. F-1 students can be authorized to participate in the hands-on training section of a course by Designated School Official (DSO), which is an integral part of the course. Students can start CPT after receiving the I-20 form with the DSO endorsement, without the approval of USCIS (Immigration). According to the relevant laws and regulations of the Immigration Department, CPT is defined as an alternative study, internship, cooperative transaction, or any other type of internship sponsored by an employer through a cooperation agreement with the school.

Therefore, when choosing a CPT school, students must carefully select the appropriate school to ensure that the school has and/or can sign a cooperation agreement with the employer and has a course related to the work content.

Generally, students must be eligible for CPT after they have been in school for one academic year (9 months). However, this requirement can be waived for graduate students who need to be immediately involved in the actual training of the course.

Therefore, for undergraduates who want to apply for a US school and intend to work with CPT, they must first plan to spend a school year at school before they can start applying for CPT. The last rule for Full Time CPT is that if a student participates in a CPT for one year or more, he will no longer qualify for the OPT. Full Time CPT is defined for more than 20 hours of work a week (excluding 20 hours). In short, CPT can work full time, but there are many incidental requirements. First, the school must sign a cooperation agreement with the employer. Secondly, the school must have relevant courses. Once again, the undergraduate students must apply for CPT after one school year, and the full-time CPT cannot apply for OPT after one year. These are all factors to consider. Students are advised to start consulting and apply for one or two suitable schools during November or December. In order to avoid the H-1B not being signed in May, we can only choose language schools. During the CPT work, all evidence of school attendance, including subway tickets, needs to be retained, so as not to request the students to provide H-1B in the following year.